Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Ama Ka Tura: People of The Land

Anthony Sul, a 22-year-old artist, is part of the Ohlone nation and identifies as Ama Ka Tura one of the “people of the land.” The tribe is indigenous to parts of California including San Francisco. Over the years, the landscape of San Francisco has changed and Sul works to advocate for indigenous people, educate and carry on cultural traditions. He proves that the Ohlone exist and carries on a living breathing culture.


I took a class this year at Missouri called Indigenous Geography. The course explored indigenous groups from all over the world and the connection to land, culture and intangible elements. However, I wanted to know more about Native Americans in present day as modern people who carry on cultural traditions.

For the Hearst Journalism Awards National Championship we were given the topic "What is the real San Francisco?" I started looking into the history of who lived in San Francisco before the land was built on. I talked to many members of the Ohlone tribe, which can be a loaded term as everyone identifies differently, and tried to learn as much as I could.

I met Anthony Sul, a 22 year old artist, and began photographing him. Anthony helped me understand and communicate that the indigenous people of California still exist.


Multimedia finalist Julia Wall finishing editing as the sun begins to rise.

During the championship "shootout" we had Monday evening, Tuesday and Wednesday to find a story, shoot and edit a multimedia. I wasn't able to start editing before Wednesday at 10 p.m. and the pieces were due at 8 a.m. Thursday. Thankfully, I had the support of the other multimedia finalists who hunkered down in a side room at the hotel. I felt so lucky to be surrounded by such a talented group who became teammates and friends.



You can watch the piece I produced below.



Ama Ka Tura: People of The Land from Sarah Hoffman on Vimeo.


Links to other pieces from Hearst:

Sam Wilson: Fit Me In
Julia Wall: The Lusty Lady Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment